Strawberry-Rhubarb Baked Custard French Toast

May 07, 2011

Special Mother’s Day wishes to all the mother hens and chicks out there. I couldn’t resist posting this sweet video of a mother hen and her baby chicks.

The chicks in the video are not mine.  Someone did ask me this week, however, if I felt bad that my hens will never be mothers. It’s something I hadn’t actually thought about, but upon reflection I really don’t feel too bad. Frankly, I think my girls are happy being carefree and  worrying only about themselves. In fact, I suspect that many mothers wish they could have that – at least for one day.  I rather think the hen in this video is at that point by the end of the clip!

If you’re looking for something to make your own Mother’s Day extra special this year, try this fabulous Strawberry-Rhubarb Baked Custard French Toast. Cubes of rich egg brioche or challah bread are baked in a sweetened egg yolk custard flavored with a fresh strawberry-rhubarb sauce.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Baked Custard French Toast

Print This Recipe

4 egg yolks
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
12 oz. cubed (3/4 inch) brioche, challah or other egg bread (about 6 cups)
Strawberry-Rhubarb sauce (recipe below)

Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat 8 or 9-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray. Whisk the egg yolks, eggs and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, milk and allspice until blended. Stir in the bread cubes until moistened. Place in baking dish. Spoon 1/2 cup of the strawberry-rhubarb sauce over the top.

Bake 45 minutes or until puffed, lightly browned and knife inserted in center comes out clean but moist. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce.

8 servings

Do Ahead: Casserole can be assembled, covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours before baking. Add an additional 5 to 10 minutes baking time if necessary.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce

8 oz. sliced fresh rhubarb (about 2 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 cup sliced strawberries

Combine rhubarb, sugar and water in medium saucepan; cover and cook over medium-low heat until sugar is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover; increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Boil 2 to 4 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft and falling apart. Add the strawberries and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Cool to room temperature.

Do Ahead: Sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.

6 Responses to “Strawberry-Rhubarb Baked Custard French Toast”

1. May 07, 2011 at 8:15 am, Barbara said:

Love the video!! But how can one hen have so many little chicks at once? I thought they laid 1 egg a day?

Mmmmmmm rhubarb….can’t wait until mine is ready to pick!

2. May 08, 2011 at 11:04 am, admin said:

Good question! A hen will only lay up to 1 egg a day, but they will continue to lay eggs until their clutch is complete, usually around 12 eggs (if the eggs are allowed to stay in the nest). At that point, if a hen is inclined, she will go broody and sit on the eggs warming and turning them for around 21 days until they begin hatching. Broody hens are very single minded and rarely get up from the nest except to eat and drink a little during the day. They’re very protective of their eggs and will peck or attack anyone who tries to get the eggs. Many hens will sit on a group of eggs whether they laid them or not and will hatch a mixed breed.

3. May 12, 2011 at 3:57 pm, Sarah Melling said:

Hi.. I saw your lovely book in a shop last week and ran right home and ordered my own copy. And now, I’ve found your wonderful blog! I have a little drawing blog, and now have three hens that are working their way into my drawings…they do have a way of taking over our lives, don’t they? Looking forward to future posts!

4. May 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm, admin said:

Hi Sarah,
    I’m so happy you found me and I hope you enjoy the book. I adore your drawings – and love the new chicken drawing. I’ll start following to see how they develop. Thanks for checking in.
    Janice

5. May 15, 2011 at 8:43 am, Ashley said:

I just got your book as a gift for mothers day (one of my only requests) and I have to say it is a wonderful book! I have been increasingly interested in owning my own backyard chickens – the fresh eggs! the funny little beasts as pets! – but, alas, it is illegal in my town (I am looking into getting that law changed).
    I just wanted to stop by and let you know how much I love your book and to say that I will be “chicken and egg”-ing in my kitchen soon! :)
    Ashley @ She’s Star-Crossed

6. May 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm, admin said:

I’m so glad you’re enjoying my book and do hope you’ll be able to own chickens in your area soon. There are many good resources for trying to get chickens legalized so let me know if you have any questions. In the meantime, enjoy cooking out of the book and let me know how things turn out!