A Lulu of a Couple Weeks

September 04, 2009

On the Mend

I can’t believe some of the things I’ve done in the past 2 1/2 weeks since Lulu went to the vet. Trust me, it wasn’t what I signed up for when I decided to get these three girls.

The first day that I gave her meds was quite a trip. I wrapped her in a towel (like the vet tech did), tried to get her to open her mouth and got lots of medicine on my hand. I’m not so sure how much went in her mouth and when we were all done I found out she had pooped on my pants. I had nine more days of this!

She’s now on a regimen of probiotics in the form of plain yogurt with live active acidophilus and bifidus cultures to add good bacteria to her gut. She’s also getting her protein supplement, like a real athlete, in the form of meal worms. Live meal worms in the fridge is not something I do lightly; it really grosses me out. Luckily a friend told me about the freeze-dried meal worms that Mills Fleet Farm sells in the wild bird section. Naturally, the chicks preferred live worms but, as I’m calling the shots, they’re getting the dried ones for now.

Probiotic-Protein Afternoon Snack

Lulu is now back with the rest of the clan, but each morning I still take her in, wrap her in a towel and clean her bottom with warm water. I then blow dry her feathers with a hair dryer, rub a little Preparation H on her vent area, rub the rest of the no-feathered area with Bacitracin for good measure and let her go back out with her friends. Whew!

What’s interesting about this whole episode is the change in Lulu. She’s always been my obstinate one. She embodies the problem child in every family. But early on in this process she seemed to understand that I was trying to help her and has been very gentle and cooperative through it all. She also seems to have gained a little humility. She no longer attacks the other two chicks or pecks at them as they try to eat. She has lost some of her cockiness.

I thought perhaps she’d even let me hold her in the yard now that we had become buddies, but no such luck. She still runs whenever I approach. But come morning, she limply snuggles into the towel as I try to help her recover. After all, she’s a survivor. She’s also my best egg layer—an egg a day—even through this ordeal!

4 Responses to “A Lulu of a Couple Weeks”

  1. September 07, 2009 at 5:49 pm, Anonymous said:

    I am glad that Lulu is on the mend. Your inner farm girl is coming out!!

    Recently we went to a friend's cabin and I made Rhubarb Swirl Ice Cream and Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies. They were delicious and such a hit. Thanks for the good recipes.



  2. September 08, 2009 at 6:10 am, Janice said:

    It's so great to hear that you made the recipes, they turned out and were a hit. Thanks for letting me know!

    This farm girl has lately start to question what she got herself into!


  3. September 11, 2009 at 7:00 pm, Barbara W said:

    Is Lulu better now?

    I was browsing your site, and noticed the Yoga Laughter link. I've been wanting to try this!!! I checked the Yoga Studio in Plymouth which is the only place that has it in the twin cities that I know of. They are going to offer a session Oct 27 in Roseville, and one in November in White Bear lake. Want to try it with me??


  4. September 12, 2009 at 1:58 pm, Janice said:

    Yes, she's doing better although not completely well. The vet said it could be overactive hormones – don't I know about those!! Even female chickens suffer from hormones, it just doesn't seem fair.

    I'd love to try the laughter yoga but I have to take a rain check until December. Let me know how it is.


Leave a Reply