Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies

February 11, 2009

I recently got together with some long-time friends for a mid-winter women’s getaway. We came prepared with the essentials: lots of wine, other libations, and enough food to sustain us for days in case we were snowed in. Of course we didn’t need to bring any food with us as we were eating all of our meals out, but as women always do we came prepared and ready to nourish! One of the goodies I tucked away in my bag was a tin of homemade chocolate cookies. They were opened and passed around before we even got to our destination. Friends, laughter and chocolate—three keys to the perfect getaway!

With Valentine’s Day coming up, these cookies would make a great treat for anyone you love. They’re like bite-size brownies: shiny and crackly on top with a soft fudgy center.

Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Print This Recipe

I first tasted these cookies last year while in New Orleans for a food conference. They were the winner of the Louisiana Cookin’ magazine’s Reader Recipe Contest. I’ve changed the name of these cookies and adapted the recipe slightly. If you’re like me and really love dark chocolate, I suggest using 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut up, in place of the semisweet chocolate chips. Whenever I use chocolate I always splurge and buy the best chocolate available. It does make a difference.

1¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips (8 oz.)
4 tablespoons butter, cut up
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (12 oz.) pkg. bittersweet chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Combine the semisweet chocolate chips and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 20-second increments, stirring every 20 seconds until the chips are almost melted. Stir until smooth. Cool until warm, not hot. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in another small bowl.

Beat the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla in a large bowl on medium speed for 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the melted chocolate. Beat in the flour mixture just until blended. Stir in the bittersweet chocolate chips. (Batter will be soft, but if excessively soft refrigerate until firm enough to scoop.)

Drop by 1½ tablespoons (a tiny ice cream scoop works perfect) onto baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9 minutes or until the tops are shiny and cracked and the centers are soft. Place the cookie sheet with cookies on a cooling rack and let sit for 3 minutes to allow the cookies to firm slightly. Remove the cookies to the cooling rack and cool completely.

4 dozen cookies

15 Responses to “Chewy Chocolate Brownie Cookies”

1. February 23, 2009 at 10:47 am, Kristin said:

Oh my God – I couldn’t resist making these. They are awesome and so simple to make. I was amazed that there was only 4 Tblsp of butter and 2/3 cup of flour in them! We love our brownies with walnuts so I added them to these cookies. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

2. February 23, 2009 at 10:49 am, Janice said:

Glad you loved them! They’ve become one of my favorites. I’ll have to try walnuts in the cookies the next time I make them.

3. November 11, 2009 at 3:17 am, Anonymous said:

i just made them…. mine came out VERY SAD! :( they came out super flat and i didnt have parchment paper so when i took them off they got smashed. this was not what i expected.. but the taste was there

4. November 11, 2009 at 4:45 am, Janice said:

Oh, I'm so sorry! A lot of people have made these and they've turned out really great! If you didn't have parchment paper, I hope you greased the baking sheet instead. I'm trying to figure out why they turned out so flat for you. Check your baking powder to make sure it's not out of date. Also, make sure you spooned and leveled the flour, not scooped and tapped it or there would be too much flour. Otherwise, I'm stumped. What kind of chocolate chips did you use?

5. February 11, 2010 at 9:47 am, Anonymous said:

I did not like these cookies. Way too much chocolate! Hardly any brownie. Not sweet enough.

6. February 11, 2010 at 10:05 am, Janice said:

Sorry these cookies didn't measure up for you. Lots of people LOVE them. Too much chocolate is not a problem I hear too often. You would probably like them better if you substituted semisweet chips for the bittersweet chips and perhaps cut back on the amount. Good luck.

7. April 07, 2010 at 8:34 am, Anonymous said:

THEM COOKIES ARE GOOD!!!!!!!

8. April 07, 2010 at 8:51 am, Janice said:

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for letting me know!

9. July 14, 2010 at 5:30 pm, Anonymous said:

While making these I was all set to write a bad review. The batter was so thin I was just going to pour it into a pan and make brownies. BUT I did make cookies out of the and to my surprise they came out great. I had to cook them for 20 mins but still very good.

10. July 14, 2010 at 6:58 pm, Janice said:

I'm glad they ended up turning out good for you. You may want to check your oven temperature, perhaps it's running a little low and that's why they needed to bake so long. Interesting that the batter was so thin, as it's usually thick enough to scoop. Make sure the butter measurement and chocolate chips are the same as the recipe. I've had a lot of people have great success with this recipe so I'm glad you liked it and hopefully the consistency will improve in the future. Thanks for commenting and good luck.

11. September 11, 2011 at 7:10 pm, Missy said:

I just made these cookies, and they were great!
    Thanks for sharing!

• September 12, 2011 at 7:38 am, admin said:

Thanks for letting me know, so glad you enjoyed them!

12. December 13, 2012 at 9:29 am, Diane said:

These cookies are AWESOME!!! If you love chocolate, you’ll love these! This recipe’s a keeper! I used all semi-sweet chocolate chips and they were so chocolates, soft, chewy and deeee-liciois!! Thanks for the great recipe! :)

• December 13, 2012 at 9:58 am, admin said:

So glad you like them, they’re one of my favorites! Happy Holidays!

13. February 09, 2013 at 5:04 am, Yasmin said:

Hi dear,
    This is the first time ever am writing a review. I tried the cookies n they r amazing. This recipe goes straight to my favorite foler. I got 3 dozen cookies though. Of which 1 dozen disappeared as soon as they came out of d oven.
    Thanks a lot for posting this recipe